Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement
The Department of Educational Technology became a state approved K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program provider in 2011. We are pleased to announce that we are accepting teacher applicants for the Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement for spring 2012 completion. However, at this time we are only accepting those teacher candidates who meet the following criteria:
1) Have been admitted into the Ed Tech graduate programs and are taking courses or have finished taking courses from EdTech;
2) Are Idaho certified teachers; and
3) have at least one year of online teaching experience in K-12 settings.
All other applicants may be eligible for completion in Fall 2012. Stay tuned for further announcements. For more information, visit the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement webpage or contact Dr. Dazhi Yang (email@example.com), program coordinator.
In August 2011, the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University became a state approved K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program provider in Idaho. This endorsement is a competency-based program (see Idaho Online Teacher Endorsement Competencies: Pre-K-12) and requires students to demonstrate their capabilities of online teaching and learning in meeting recommended proficiencies through a combination of course completions and submitted artifacts. This site features information about the process of obtaining the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement through the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University. Here you will find a list of admission requirements and procedures, a program requirement overview, and an outline of the required evaluation and recommendation program processes. To aid in the tracking and submission of competency artifacts, this site also includes a helpful Endorsement Competency Checklist and an Evidence Assets Upload area. Visit this page frequently for information about updates and changes in program requirements.
1. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURE
If you are currently enrolled or have graduated from the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University (BSU) and are interested in pursuing the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement, you will not be required to go through any additional admission procedures. Rather, initiate your endorsement process by contacting the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Program Coordinator to discuss your intent in pursuing the Endorsement. If you are not currently enrolled or a graduate from the Educational Technology program at BSU, you must first apply to the Graduate College of Boise State University as a NonDegree seeking student. At this time, acceptance to the Graduate Collage is a prerequisite for taking any required courses towards the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program at BSU. (Please refer to the Admission Process for NonDegree-Seeking Students.) For Spring 2012 completion, we are only working with those applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Have been admitted into our graduate programs and are taking courses or have finished taking courses from EdTech;
- Are Idaho certified teachers; and 3) have at least one year of online teaching experience in K-12 settings. A full plan for other applicants will be in place for Fall of 2012.
Teacher candidates must meet all program requirements before they can be recommended for the Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement. The Department of Educational Technology at BSU offers required courses, evaluates the eligibility of teacher candidates and then makes recommendations of candidates to the State Department of Education for the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement. Candidates must complete 20 credits of required or equivalent courses including a 2-credit online field teaching experience. All required courses are offered through the BSU Department of Educational Technology. Please note: some required courses can be substituted with equivalent courses or professional development activities. Specific program requirements include:
1. Demonstrated competencies of online teaching and learning based on the Endorsement Competency Checklist that aligns with the Idaho Standards for Online Teachers in terms of their performance indicators and how candidates’ artifacts can be evaluated on each performance indicator.List of required courses for Idaho K-12 online teaching endorsement at BSU (or equivalent courses and professional development activities including evidence of one (1) year of verifiable and successful experience as a teacher delivering curriculum in grades)
- Option 1: Candidates will submit a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio to the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University for the evaluation of their competencies. The competency-based approach (submission of a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio) allows candidates to meet program course requirement through substitutions of coursework and their professional development activities and artifacts.
- Option 2: For teacher candidates who have successfully completed the program course requirements (see the List of required courses for Idaho K-12 online teaching endorsement at BSU), they will not be required to submit a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio because they have already demonstrated required competences in their coursework.
2. Minimum grade of 3.00 is required for all courses or equivalent courses. Official transcripts for all courses are required before the Ed Tech Department makes a recommendation.
3. At least one-year online teaching experience in grades Pre-K-12, within the past three years, is required. Support letter or report of professional online teaching experience from a school administrator or EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching (2 credits) can satisfy this requirement.
4. Evidence of Idaho teacher certification.
|Course Number and Title||Credits|
|EDTECH 502: Internet for Educators
EDTECH 504: Theoretical Foundations of Educational Technology
EDTECH 512: Online Course Design
EDTECH 521: Teaching Online in the K-12 Environment
EDTECH 523: Advanced Online Teaching
EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching
EDTECH 543: Social Network Learning
(Note: Credits for the endorsement program can be applied to EdTech degree programs at BSU.)
3. EVALUATION AND RECOMMENDATION PROCESS
The Department of Educational Technology at BSU will evaluate all teacher candidates based on the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program requirements and then recommend candidates for the endorsement to the Idaho State Department of Education. All program requirements (see Program Requirements) must be met before candidates can be recommended to the Idaho State Department of Education. The Ed Tech Department will recommend teacher candidates at the end of spring or fall semesters. Teacher candidates will need to allow for a minimum of 60 days for the EdTech Department to process all relevant documents and evidence before making recommendations. In order to be eligible for recommendations for the Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement, teacher candidates must submit the following documents by March 15 for spring semesters and by October 15 for fall semesters to the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University.
If you have met all of the requirements, please upload your documents in “Evidence Assets Upload.”
1. Transcripts of required or equivalent courses with a minimum individual grade of 3.00 of each course.
2. Or a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio that demonstrates required competencies of online teaching and learning.
3. Evidence of at least one-year online teaching experience in grades Pre-K-12, within the past three years, is required or official transcript of EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching (2 credits).
4. Evidence of Idaho teacher certification.
5. B14 Form – Institutional Recommendation for Online Teacher Endorsement Pre-K-12 (Fill in the information required from the applicant).
4. APPLICANT RESOURCES
Useful Documents and Files:
- The Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Matrix illustrates some example artifacts that are associated with the performance indicators for different standards of Idaho Standards for Online Teachers. This is not a sample portfolio – but rather an illustration of course related artifacts that align with the Idaho Standards for Online Teachers.
- The Idaho Endorsement Competency Checklist for the Idaho Standards for Online Teachers in terms of their performance indicators for the standards and how candidate artifacts will be evaluated for the required competencies.
- Idaho Educator Certification/Credential http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/teacher_certification/
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact:
Dr. Dazhi Yang,
K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Program Coordinator
Department of Educational Technology,
College of Education Education Building, Room E-315
Phone: (208) 426-3212