Frequently Asked Questions
Spring (May 2018) Commencement is held in Taco Bell Arena. This year, there are two separate groups of graduates. Our College of Education group will attend the afternoon ceremony. To get more familiar with the locations mentioned below, use this link to an interactive campus map. Up-to-date information is also available at: Location and Accommodations.
• You will report to the Bronco Gym/Kinesiology Building (a red brick building located just steps south of the arena) and pick up your name cards inside the building.
• 1:30 p.m. – Bronco Gym doors open for name card pick-up. Please go to the table that corresponds to the first letter of your last name to pick up your cards. Please check your cards for accuracy. This is how your name will be printed on your diploma! Need static spray or a bobby pin? Visit the Alumni table while you are in the Bronco Gym for any last minute needs. You must pick up name cards no later than 2:30 p.m.
• 2:30 p.m. – Taco Bell Arena doors open for guest seating. Seating is first-come, first-seated.
• 2:45 p.m. – Proceed to the Auxiliary Gym (inside the arena) where you will meet other Ed Tech graduates and receive processional instructions. You must report to the Auxiliary Gym for line-up and instructions. Then, enter through Lobby 3 to access the Auxiliary Gym. Walk-through magnetometers will be used to screen all visitors to the Taco Bell Arena. You will sit with the college you are graduating from. Please do not leave valuables in the gyms. Please do not bring bags into the gyms or onto the Arena floor.
• 3:30 p.m. – Commencement begins! The ceremony will last approximately two hours.
The ceremony begins with the processional.
• You will be directed to proceed into the arena with other graduates, led by the student marshals. At the appropriate time, you will stand and proceed to the front of the stage for individual recognition.
• As you approach the stage staff will direct you and indicate what you need to do as you proceed through the ceremony. You will hand one of your name cards to a staff member who will announce your name as you cross the stage and shake hands with the Dean of the College of Education. He will present you with a diploma cover.
• You will then proceed to the photographer and give the assistant your other name card. The photographer will take your picture and then you will return to your seat for the remainder of the ceremony.
• At the end of the ceremony, you will leave the arena with all other graduates in the closing honor march.
• A reception for graduates and their guests will be held immediately following the ceremony in the Jordan Ball Room at the Student Union Building. Our graduates will go to the College of Education booth.
A reception for graduates and their families will be held immediately following the ceremony at the Student Union Building. Each college and school will have a designated area where graduates can meet with family and friends after the ceremony. Light refreshments will be served.
The Department of Ed Tech meets with the College of Education; not the Graduate College.
Yes. An immediate past fall commencement ceremony is available to watch here: 2016 Fall Commencement.
There are really no bad seats! Video projection on large screens in the arena provides all seats with an excellent view of the graduates. The entire event is recorded and can be viewed after the event online.
Yes. Please see services available at Special Accommodation. For graduates themselves needing special accommodation, please notify the Registrar’s Office at 426-4249 or email Mandy Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org, two (2) weeks prior to commencement. Special arrangements will be made for all activities associated with commencement.
Yes. A professional photographer from a private company, Grad Images will take a photo of each graduate. You will receive a color proof in the mail approximately one week after the ceremony. You can decide at that time if you want to purchase a photo package. For more information, contact Grad Images at www.gradimages.com or 1-800-261-2576.
They can take photos or video from their seats. Due to fire regulations, no one is allowed in the aisles or on the floor of the arena to take photos or video. The lights in the arena are dimmed during the ceremony to allow high quality live video projection on the wide screens.
Yes, overflow seating is available in the Student Union with a live broadcast feed. The Student Union Games Center is also open for children.
Yes. You may meet other Ed Tech grads in the Auxiliary Gym prior to the ceremony and at the ceremony you will sit with the other Ed Tech graduates. After the ceremony, you can meet and talk with other graduates, families, faculty and staff at the reception.
Graduates are expected to remain for the duration of the ceremony. Out of respect for all graduates, guests are also asked to stay for the entire ceremony, if possible.
The Department of Educational Technology invites you and your family and friends to our Class of 2018 Pre-Commencement Reception on Friday, May 4th between 10am-12:30pm in the Wallace Conference Room on the 7th floor of the Education building. During this reception we will have a Medal Ceremony starting at 10:15am where you will receive our Carolyn Thorsen Award, a medallion you can wear at commencement.
This is a great opportunity to meet our Dean, faculty, and other graduates. Also, after the event our Administrative Assistant, Cody Jessup, will happily provide a tour of the Department, which is on the 3rd floor of the Education building, for anyone who requests it.
This is an informal event, so please don’t feel pressured in having to dress up. Refreshments will be provided. Please RSVP by April 27th (click on EdTech Dept. Pre-Commencement Reception), and if you have any questions do not hesitate to call or email Cody at 208-426-1966 or email@example.com.
Also, in the past, students have organized their own casual events in popular Boise watering holes the day prior to or following the ceremony by inviting, using Moodle, other graduates and families to attend..