Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go on the day of commencement and what should I do?
Fall (December) Commencement is held in Taco Bell Arena. Also, here is the link to an interactive campus map. Plan to arrive about 8:30 a.m. (no later than 9 a.m.) wearing your cap and gown. Family and friends should use entrances 1, 2 or 4 at Taco Bell Arena. Elevators are available inside entrances 1 and 2.
- Up-to-date information is available at: Location and Accommodations.
- You will report to the Kinesiology Building (a red brick building located just steps south of the arena) and pick up your name cards inside the building. After picking up your name cards, call our Ed Tech adviser Jerry Foster at 208-426-4008. He will come to your location and escort you to the Auxiliary Gym (inside the arena) where you will meet other Ed Tech graduates and receive processional instructions.
What time does the commencement ceremony start?
The ceremony starts at 10 a.m. and lasts about 2 ½ hours. An optional reception for students and families is held immediately following the event.
What happens during the ceremony?
The ceremony begins with the processional.
- You will be directed to proceed into the arena with other graduates, led by the student marshals. At the appropriate time, you will stand and proceed to the front of the stage for individual recognition.
- As you approach the stage staff will direct you and indicate what you need to do as you proceed through the ceremony. You will hand one of your name cards to a staff member who will announce your name as you cross the stage and shake hands with the Dean of the College of Education. He will present you with a diploma cover.
- You will then proceed to the photographer and give the assistant your other name card. The photographer will take your picture and then you will return to your seat for the remainder of the ceremony.
- At the end of the ceremony, you will leave the arena with all other graduates in the closing honor march.
- A reception for graduates and their guests will be held immediately following the ceremony in the Jordan Ball Room at the Student Union Building. Our graduates will go to the College of Education booth.
Can I watch a recent commencement event to see what it is like?
Yes. An immediate past fall commencement ceremony is available to watch here: 2016 Fall Commencement.
Where should my family sit inside the Taco Bell Arena?
Video projection on large screens in the arena provides all seats with an excellent view of the graduates. The entire event is recorded and can be viewed after the event online.
Are there accommodations available for family and friends with special needs in the Taco Bell Arena?
Yes. Please see services available at Special Accommodation. For graduates themselves needing special accommodation, please notify the Registrar’s Office at 426-4249 or email Mandy Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org, two (2) weeks prior to commencement. Special arrangements will be made for all activities associated with commencement.
Can I get a professional photograph at the event?
Yes. A professional photographer from a private company, Grad Images will take a photo of each graduate. You will receive a color proof in the mail approximately one week after the ceremony. You can decide at that time if you want to purchase a photo package. For more information, contact Grad Images at www.gradimages.com or 1-800-261-2576.
Can my family take pictures or video at the event?
They can take photos or video from their seats. Due to fire regulations, no one is allowed in the aisles or on the floor of the arena to take photos or video. The lights in the arena are dimmed during the ceremony to allow high quality live video projection on the wide screens.
Is there a good place to watch commencement with children?
Yes, overflow seating is available in the Student Union with a live broadcast feed. The Student Union Games Center is also open for children.
Can I meet the other Ed Tech graduates before or after commencement?
Yes. At commencement you will sit with other Ed Tech graduates. After the ceremony, you can meet and talk with other graduates and faculty at the reception
Do I have to stay for the entire ceremony?
Graduates are expected to remain for the duration of the ceremony. Out of respect for all graduates, guests are also asked to stay for the entire ceremony if possible.
Does the EdTech department host an event for families and students?
Our department does not hold any department-specific activities, but many students host their own events prior to and after the ceremony and invite other graduates and families to attend using Moodle.