Skip to Main Content


Graduation and Commencement Information

The information on this page is for students preparing to graduate. All graduates are invited (but not required) to participate in an upcoming commencement ceremony.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between commencement and graduation?
Commencement is the ceremony where we celebrate your accomplishment. The ceremony includes a processional and recessional march of candidates as well as individual recognition of each graduate and hooding of doctoral candidates. Graduation is the act of completing all required coursework and earning credits needed to complete your degree.

Where do I find commencement information?
You can review information on the upcoming commencement on this page. Commencement.
The university provides real-time live streaming of commencement. You can view the ceremony here..

Are online students invited to participate in commencement?
Yes! All of our students who have completed requirements for their degree and have responded to an invitation from the registrar’s office are welcome to participate in commencement.

How will I receive information about commencement?
All official university communication regarding commencement will be emailed to you by the Registrar… Students planning to graduate in December will receive information in mid-October.  Those graduating in May will get information in mid-March.  If you are planning to graduate and have not received information by the times noted above contact the Registrar’s office by phone (208) 426-4249 or send an email to

Will I receive an official invitation to attend?
Yes. About 1 month prior to commencement, you will receive an email inviting you to participate in the commencement ceremony. You must respond to that invitation and we ask that you also inform our department by sending an email to Dixie Conner at if you plan to attend.

When are commencement events held?
Two commencement events are held each year- in December and May. Specific dates for upcoming commencement events through 2018 are available here.

Where is the commencement ceremony held?
Due to the size of the May 2017 commencement activity, it will be held in Albertsons Stadium. December commencement will continue to be held in Taco Bell Arena.

Do I need to get tickets for family and friends to attend?
No. Tickets are not required, but we encourage family and friends to arrive early.  Seats are filled on a first-come first-served basis and thousands of guests attend the ceremony.

If I graduate during the summer, when do I attend commencement?
You will attend the December commencement ceremony.

If I completed a certificate but not a degree, can I participate in commencement?
No. commencement participation is limited to those who complete a degree.

Can I attend either the winter or spring commencement?  
Boise State policy requires students to participate in the ceremony immediately following completion of their graduation requirements. Summer graduates are welcome to participate in winter (December) commencement.University policy does allow appeal for extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the graduate.

Am I required to participate in commencement to receive my diploma?
No, participation in commencement is optional.

Will I get my diploma at commencement?
No, graduates are given an official university diploma cover at commencement. Diplomas are not issued until final grades are verified by the Registrar and Graduate College. Diplomas are mailed to all graduates approximately 6-8 weeks after grades are verified and will be sent to the mailing address you have listed on

What if my employer needs confirmation of my earning my degree before I receive my diploma?
Many students need to provide documentation of degree completion to their school districts before their diploma arrives. The registrar is happy to provide an appropriate letter based upon your needs. You may request a letter by calling (208) 426-4249 or by sending an email request to

How do I verify that my name will be correct on my diploma?
The name on your diploma will be the name listed as your primary name on If you need to make a change to your first, middle, or last name, you need to immediately complete a “student information update form” and mail it with a copy of one of the following pieces of information that verifies your name: driver’s license, social security card, marriage license, court order, or a dissolution of marriage/divorce decree.  You can access the update form and mailing information here.

How do I request a copy of my transcripts?
You may order official transcripts online using
You can also access an online order form and see more information here.

How do I get a correction made on my transcripts?
The Registrar makes every effort to ensure that your transcript records are up-to-date and accurate. If you believe there is an error or an omission on your transcript, please contact the Registrar’s Office by phone (208) 426-4249 or by email:

How do I see the legendary Blue Turf?
May Commencement will be in Albertsons Stadium, but only graduates, faculty, officers of the University, and stadium and event staff will actually be allowed on the field; no guests or family. However, the view from the stands, particularly from the higher seats, is very gratifying.

Who do I contact for assistance with graduation forms?
If you have any questions about your validity for graduation, your best course of action is to contact the Registrar at either (208) 426-4249 or Paul Castelin is our end-of-program adviser and can assist you with any required actions that the Registrar indicates. His email address is:

Click on the following links for more information:

Commencement Ceremony Details
Parking, Food Service and More
Regalia and Graduate Gifts
Contact Information
Resources For Out of Town Graduates