Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement
In August 2011, the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University became a state approved K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program provider in Idaho. This site features information about the process of obtaining the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement through the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University. Here you will find a list of admission requirements and procedures, a program requirement overview, and an outline of the required evaluation and recommendation program processes.
Visit this page frequently for information about updates and changes in program requirements.
Teacher candidates must meet all program requirements before they can be recommended for the Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement. The Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University offers required courses, evaluates the eligibility of teacher candidates and then makes recommendations of candidates to the State Department of Education for the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement. Candidates must complete 21 credits of required or equivalent courses including a 3-credit online field teaching experience. All required courses are offered through the Boise State University Department of Educational Technology. Please note: some required courses can be substituted with equivalent courses or professional development activities. Specific program requirements include:
- Demonstrated competencies in online teaching and learning aligned with the Idaho Standards for Online Teachers.
- Minimum grade of 3.00 for all courses or equivalent courses. Official transcripts for all courses are required before we make a recommendation.
- At least one-year online teaching experience in grades Pre-K-12, within the past three years. Support letter or report of professional online teaching experience from a school administrator. EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching (3 credits) can satisfy this requirement.
- Evidence of Idaho teacher certification.
Candidates in the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program have two options for demonstrating competency for recommendation – Course Requirements or Competency-Based:
OPTION 1: Competency-Based. The competency-based approach (submission of a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio) allows candidates to meet program requirements through substitutions of coursework, professional development activities, and artifacts. This option is designed primarily for in-service teachers who are currently teaching online. It is typically used with teacher cohorts in a virtual school setting and in conjunction with school administrators and follows the procedures listed below:
- Evaluation and gap analysis. The candidate, in collaboration with the program coordinator and school administrator, conducts a gap analysis using the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist (aligned with Idaho Standards for Online Teachers and the Danielson Framework). The gap analysis takes into account prior coursework, teacher PD, and online teaching experience.
- Register for suggested coursework as needed. Based on the results of the gap analysis, candidates are directed into courses that will help them complete the process of gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the requirements of the endorsement. Candidates for the competency-based option are required to take a minimum of one course plus the required EDTECH 582 ePortfolio course.
- Enroll in the EDTECH 582 ePortfolio course. This course is designed to support candidates in gathering evidence and artifacts and creating an ePortfolio which must include: 1) evidence and artifacts mapped to the standards, 2) a reflection/rationale explaining how the artifact meets the standard, why it was chosen, and how it is used in practice, and 2) a video reflection on teaching practice.
- Evaluation: After completion of the ePortfolio course, the evidence from each candidate is evaluated using the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Competency Checklist.
OPTION 2: Course Requirements. Candidates complete the required coursework. In some cases, candidates in this option will also complete the competency-based ePortfolio (see Option 2 below). The endorsement program of study builds off of our K-12 Online Teaching certificate program.
List of required courses for Idaho K-12 online teaching endorsement at Boise State University (or equivalent courses and professional development activities including evidence of one (1) year of verifiable and successful experience as a teacher delivering curriculum in grades)
|Course Number and Title||Credits|
|EDTECH 502: Internet for Educators||3
|EDTECH 504: Theoretical Foundations of Educational Technology||3|
|EDTECH 506 Graphic Design for Learning OR|
EDTECH 512: Online Course Design OR
EDTECH 542 Project Based Learning
|EDTECH 521: Teaching Online in the K-12 Environment||3|
|EDTECH 523: Advanced Online Teaching||3|
|EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching||3|
|EDTECH 541 Technology in the Classroom Curriculum OR |
EDTECH 543: Social Network Learning OR
Any elective with permission of coordinator
(Note: Credits for the endorsement program can be applied to EdTech degree programs at BSU.)
Click here for course descriptions of each of the required courses
EVALUATION AND RECOMMENDATION PROCESS
The Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University will evaluate all teacher candidates based on the K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement program requirements and then recommend candidates for the endorsement to the Idaho State Department of Education. All program requirements (see Program Requirements) must be met before candidates can be recommended to the Idaho State Department of Education. The Ed Tech Department will recommend teacher candidates at the end of spring or fall semesters. Teacher candidates will need to allow for a minimum of 60 days for the EdTech Department to process all relevant documents and evidence before making recommendations.
In order to be eligible for recommendations for the Idaho K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement, teacher candidates must submit the following documents to the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University:
- Transcripts of required or equivalent courses with a minimum individual grade of 3.00 of each course.
- Or a K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Portfolio that demonstrates required competencies of online teaching and learning.
- Evidence of at least one-year online teaching experience in grades Pre-K-12, within the past three years, is required or official transcript of EDTECH 524: Field Experience in Online Teaching (3 credits).
- Evidence of Idaho teacher certification.
- B14 Form – Institutional Recommendation for Online Teacher Endorsement Pre-K-12 (Fill in the information required from the applicant).
If you have met all of the requirements, please upload your documents in “Evidence Assets Upload.”
Idaho Educator Certification/Credential http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/teacher_certification/
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact:
Dr. Kerry Rice,
K-12 Online Teaching Endorsement Program Coordinator
Department of Educational Technology
College of Education
Education Building, Room E-311
Phone: (208) 426-2050